Servo makes ratcheting sound but does not move

• I've assembled my EleksDraw, updated firmware and it appears to be working OK in terms of X/Y movement - but when the pen should be lowered, the servo just makes a horrible repetetive clicking sound and does not move at all.

I have checked the wiring and it is connected to the right place, and the connector is plugged in the right way around. What should I do?

• I'm having exactly the same problem. I've tested the servo with a servo tester and it seems fine. I've checked my wiring and it's good. The servo just goes to its maximum "up" position. When it wants to go down, it just makes a ratcheting noise, but doesn't move... like it's trying to go "down" in the wrong direction and hitting the limit.

Again, when I test it with a servo tester, it's fine. It does the full travel.

Edit: This is with firmware 3.8, and trying both A1 and A0 GCode commands. Neither seem to make any difference.

I know this isnt a fix for your problem however.
    Zax just bought a eleksdraw and was successful in getting T2 Laser to operate it. He may post here later when he has the instructions on how to get it to work for everybody.

• EleksMaker CEO

Can you tell me what software you use? If it is EleksCAM, you need to send E2 to the control board first, then set Default Laser Power about S30

• Developer of T2Laser Software

Yes. EleksDraw is working perfectly with T2Laser. It came with mana.hex installed so I sent "E2" command, reversed both axis in settings menu and changed laser max to 75 (higher makes the servo crash with bracket). That was it, great product!

Hm. If you have latest firmware uploaded to EleksDRAW, then just send A1 command via EleksCAM to EleksDRAW for drawing using servo. For using laser, send A0. And also is important to set Default Laser Power in Setting tab for servo to almost left position.

0_1491752161355_CaptureEleksCAM.PNG

Instead of A1 (which only changes to servo mode) send E2 which selects an EleksDraw configuration (CoreXY, correct steps/mm and servo mode).

@Zax said in Servo makes ratcheting sound but does not move:

Instead of A1 (which only changes to servo mode) send E2 which selects an EleksDraw configuration (CoreXY, correct steps/mm and servo mode).

Yeah - you are almost right, but if you choose correct machine when flashing it with EleksROM, there is absolutely no need to do that, as EleksROM does it itself. E2 code did not switch back to laser mode when you need it. EleksDRAW is designed for both - pen and laser, so A1 and A0 codes accordingly are most important to know.

And this topic is about servo ratcheting sound which is caused by too high laser power value in EleksCAM even you send E2 code...

• @EleksMaker I'm using Eleksdraw with EleksCam software. Why would I set the laser power when it's the servo that's not working? The servo is for the pen raise and lower, not laser.

The servo and laser control use the same method, but if you send too high a value for the servo move it will crash. 50 is enough, check my pictures in another thread.

• @MuuSer Tried both of these. Manually push the servo down so it's not jammed against the end stop. Restart everything. Search for port and select. Set EleksDraw as shown. Send E2 command. Send A1 command. Both get green messages.

Try to draw anything, X-Y works, servo immediately slams into the end stop and gets stuck.

Test servo with servo-tester, servo works fine.

Also try even less than shown. One pixel for both default and weak laser power. No difference.

And, really, even if it worked (which it doesn't) should I have to go through all this EVERY time? The software should do this for me.

• I'm having the servo rotate all the way clockwise no matter what laser power settings I have. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

• ElekMaker Develop Department

@heedaf

our servo rotate up at about 30 and down at about 0~

@EleksMaker-Z isn't that backwards? 30 moves the arm down (counterclockwise or anticlockwise) and 0 is up.

Anyway @heedaf are you sure you've sent the command to set servo mode?

• I've tried everything in every combination. Reading the post I'm a little confused on the commands. One post said that if you update the firmware and select the egg option commands are not needed. Maybe I'm sending the commands wrong, is there a specific way of doing that? When I'm running the program I can see 31 and 0 being sent but the servo just keeps rotating clockwise until it hits the threshold.

• I have exactly the same problem. Server rotates clockwise until it hits the limit and stops there - not moving anymore.

I followed and tried what was posted above. Sent commands before testing again.... Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Please help.

• Heedaf - please try setting your Default Laser Power to about 10%
    See if that helps. It looks like setting that slidebar changes servo's behavior...

• ElekMaker Develop Department

@Zax
    yeah,sry i type wrong 30 is pen down and 0 is pen up , thx

• @EleksMaker-Z Tried both of these. Manually push the servo down so it's not jammed against the end stop. Restart everything. Search for port and select. Set EleksDraw as shown. Send E2 command. Send A1 command. Both get green messages.

Try to draw anything, X-Y works, servo immediately slams into the end stop and gets stuck.

Test servo with servo-tester, servo works fine.

Also try even less than shown. One pixel for both default and weak laser power. No difference.

And, really, even if it worked (which it doesn't) should I have to go through all this EVERY time? The software should do this for me.

Have you changed the max laser power to 30-50 range?

If it's still at 255 it's going to crash.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.