Laser pausing part way through a job

• Hi @Zax, I'm having an issue with T2Laser in which part way though a job the laser pauses for a period of time on a single spot whilst still on before continuing. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. Today it paused again but unlike the other times, it just kept burning until I hit the stop button to turn the laser off. Any idea why this is happening or what I can do to fix this issue? Thanks

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@Ayesha It sounds like the Nano is failing or you have some computer issue. Is it possible the USB is going into a power save mode?

Are you using Simple Streaming mode? If not, try that and see if it's different. That may help diagnose the cause.

• Thanks for getting back to me. I will check all this and report back to you. What does simple streaming mode do?

@Ayesha It uses your computer to buffer the G-code commands instead of using the Nano memory.

• Hi @Zax, just reporting back. I have lasered a few jobs of varying length (between 10 & 90 mins long) in simple streaming mode. Have had no problems with the pausing

@Ayesha That confirms the problem is the "Nano", most likely it is caused by memory faults related to temperature.

I am not surprised as there have been many similar reports recently. I recommend getting a Nano that uses a genuine Atmel ATmega328p processor.

• Thanks @Zax. Where is the nano situated (sorry I'm not very technical)? Will this cause me any other problems and will I be ok to continue using the laser in simple streaming mode for the foreseeable future?

@Ayesha The "Nano" is where you connect the USB, it's the micro controller or processor that runs your machine. Originally these were an Arduino product but over time they have been copied and generally made worse (cheaper). The CH340g replaced the much better FTDI UART for communication and now the Eleks board has swapped the reliable Atmel ATmega328p for a Chinese clone.

You can unplug this board and replace with any other quality Nano.

It is OK to use simple streaming if you don't see any issues, it requires the computer to be fast enough otherwise for high quality engravings it's possible the laser will stutter rather than provide a nice smooth image.

0_1525950514181_nano-manase.jpg

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.