Different pens test

• Developer of T2Laser Software

The EleksDraw tested with different pens. You can achieve many different styles from a hand drawn look using felt tips to a professional pen plotter (technical drawing) with a roller ball. Paint pens and also fabric pens directly on T-shirt material also work but need a better holder. I also discovered with the felt tips that you can vary the line width with different servo values (line color in T2Laser), but you need a level surface and a way to keep the paper flat. I plan to add a feature to do each color separately so you can have a multi-color design.

0_1492352824723_pen_test.jpg

That fountain pen turned out nice

• @Zax Hi don't see the Elekdraw option in the T2 software as per your install guide ? Or must the Eleksdraw be connected ? Also I presume it will not be a problem running the Eleksdraw and the Elekslaser from the same computer and same software ? Running 1.4B

regards

Moonie

It's in the next version which is still beta. It should be released in a couple of weeks. Yes, you can switch between machines.

It is still possible to use the current version, but you need to manually send the command to switch machines.

@nottingham82 these were all using regular copier / printer paper, I'm going to test different materials next. I have some fabric pens and want to draw directly on a T-shirt.

• ElekMaker Develop Department

nice~~~

• @Zax Did you include the multimachine settings in T2Laser? It would be nice to have a way to use multiple pens for drawing.

It's on my list but I haven't decided the best way to implement it. The easiest would be to use DXF or PLT colors to select the pen. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

• Is it possible to adjust the pressure of the roller ball pen? I would like to use an inkless pen to score origami paper.

There is no pressure, it is gravity. You can simply add weight to make it score the paper. I used the same method for vinyl cutting with drag knife.

I don't know how much you can add before the servo won't lift it, but if needed you could replace the servo with a stronger one.

• @Zax I might also use the laser to cut dots into the paper, which would be like scoring. Do you think that would work?

Yes, that would work but the laser will burn the edges compared to a drag knife or scoring tool which won't.

• @Zax said in Different pens test:

. I used the same method for vinyl cutting with drag knife.

@Zax You should totally do a post on that. How do you spin the drag knife? Doesnt it end up creating awkward cuts in corners and sharp edges otherwise?

• Just as an FYI I have added a sprung loaded pen holder to the A3 laser with additional Z axis and works like a charm as a pen plotter using Zax's T2 software in CNC mode! Just in the process of making a 1Mtr x 0.5Mtr version.

@vijayanands It wouldn't work well for really small text but seems adequate for most jobs. The drag knife point is slightly behind the center so it spins/swivels on it's own. A tangential cutter is where you use an axis to rotate the knife, these are obviously the best for small quality and easier weeding.

• @Zax Would love to see a picture / video of that if you can. Im trying to see what all I can do with this Gantry. So far it seems to be pens, laser, and I guess with the Z axis a bit of CNC (though the weight of it, bothers me), but the vinyl cutting seems to be a good option. I saw this rotating pen on Amazon the other day - comes in the shape of a pen, and i guess it has a simple motor with a blade attached, and they are using it for cutting stencils - im guessing it can cut vinyl and paper as well.

• @DavidF The spring makes obvious sense and I ordered for some springs two weeks ago, cause i felt at times gravity was failing and the rig wasnt lowering smoothly as it possibly should. One of the pens that I have also needs a little bit of pressure for the ink to release and the spring seemed like a good idea.

I have a 1mtr x 1 mtr setup. It works, but does take up a lot of space. Now that I know it works, Im probably going to get the set of work (for which i needed this setup done) and go back to the A3 size, since it can sit on my workspace and not hog half the space :)

• @vijayanands Yes, it's big, but I do a lot of custom woodwork and have always wanted to be able to draw full size templates. So having an A0 (I went bigger in the end to 1200 x 850mm) size pen plotter and laser is fantastic. I can draw the plans then even cut 4mm plywood for curved templates for routing. Getting to be a very useful tool now. Just got to build a cabinet now.

@vijayanands I did post some pictures here a while back, maybe lost when the forum got hacked. I used the drag knife holder from my vinyl cutter, you can purchase them from Banggood.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.