How to set up Eleks machine limit switch in T2 Laser

• @Zax so there isn't any way to make them positive. That means I should just be careful to insert the coordinates every time negative.
    I have them just for homing. I still haven't tried cutting with it after installing the homing. Will do today or tomorrow. But won't the image be upside down again ?
    If you look at the photo front left are the switches. And after i put it into the position shown on the other photo it is negative. Now if I want to cut the paper, won't the picture be on lower left instead of upper right ?
    EDIT: Ok my problem was that I had changed the Y cables in my stepper motors. That way it was going the opposite way. Now in the software my arrow up means go up, right arrow the machine goes right. Perfect.
    But the problem with homing still persists. The homing goes the other way. Not left bottom but to right top.
    EDIT 2: I changed the $ homing invert to 3 and now it goes hoe it should.
    The problem with negative coordinates was that the LaserGRBL software wasnt supporting negative ones.
    Thank you for your support, I can now start making what I want :D

• Developer of T2Laser Software

Negative machine coordinates don't matter, change the display to show workpiece coordinates and use the custom button like I suggest. It will home to your limit switches, then you press the button and it will move to the lower left or center if you prefer and then set 0,0.

Let me know if you need help setting up the custom button.

The alternatives are to recompile Grbl with what you need or put in an automated move after homing but that's not recommended for safety.

• @Zax
    Hi,
    I am awaiting delivery of my engraver and would like to add switches as described to automaticaly set the home position. I understand how they should work and will have no problem soldering to pin 9 on the arduino, but how do I get the machine to auto home on switch on? (how does it know the NO switches are connected) Is it a link on the board, a setting in T2 Laser or modified firmware (if so where can I download it?)

@ztf Home switches are the best upgrade you can make. If you are using my default Grbl 1.1e firmware, just enable them from the settings menu and that's it.

You connect 2 normally open switches in parallel from D9 to Gnd, one for the left and one at the front. Once enabled in the menu the house icon will change to red indicating it is going to auto-home, when you click it the head will move left to the switch and then back off, then forwards to the switch and back off. Then it sets that as machine 0,0. You can use the preset positions to move to any location accurately.

• @Zax
    Hi,
    thanks for the quick reply, I have found the setting in the menu (I was looking in the wrong place) Where can I download your firmware (and is it different to any other Grbl 1.1e?)
    Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I'm new to the laser scene!

@ztf The T2Laser default firmware is Grbl 1.1e (I compiled it, many others use it), it's in the Machine menu. I also include various custom firmware options including one for 3-axis homing and other purposes.

• @Zax
    Ok, thanks for that, I did see it in the menu but wanted to make sure that it was the correct one for using the switches.
    (just waiting for delivery so I can make some smoke!!)

• Where can I find a tutorial about how to add the home switches? What kind? How and where they are mounted, wiring, etc. Thanx!

here are several different methods including mine with pictures and explanations
    https://benboxlaser.us/index.php?topic=1494.75

• Hi,
    I mounted two microswitches, one on the end of the X axis rail, set so that when the laser mount moves fully to the left it closes the switch, the other on the left front (nearest to the side with the control circuit) set so that when the X axis rail moves to the front it closes that switch.
    Both switches are connected in parallel, (common pins together and normally open pins together) then one set of contacts is soldered to pin D9 on the arduino the other to the ground connection. Set T2 Laser, control laser, settings, select "Home Switches" and that's it. (I fixed the switches in place with very strong double sided tape, works well but would probably be better to use nuts and bolts!)1_1519682714817_WP_20180226_21_45_35_Rich.jpg 0_1519682714816_WP_20180226_21_44_56_Rich.jpg

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.