Uneven laser power

• I produce weeding wineboxes and currently lasering on 20 boxes, I upgraded my software fron Benbox to Elekscam but the new software produces uneven burning on my pinewood. I hope someone can explain this. The laser on the Elekscam randomly burns or skips on different parts of the image when going back to the skipped parts the burns were different from nearby images. Setting is 1000 speed, 275 power, foldline.
    alt text

This post is deleted!

@armanliness
    Using FoldLine is not a good idea, if you burn wood and you have large area with no straight edges. Yes - it is quicker way, but as you see - you lose by quality. Instead use LineByLine. FoldLine is good for texts and ornaments, but not for big silhouettes.

Yes - I must be agree with @mrmister and say that please - if you know and see exactly, what is in picture wrong, then by this keyhole picture for others is practically impossibly to see, what is wrong. I just see no differences except left one is slightly lighter and has over-burned edges probably by FoldLine feature.

• @MuuSer said in Uneven laser power:

@armanliness
    Using FoldLine is not a good idea, if you burn wood and you have large area with no straight edges. Yes - it is quicker way, but as you see - you lose by quality. Instead use LineByLine. FoldLine is good for texts and ornaments, but not for big silhouettes.

Yes - I must be agree with @mrmister and say that please - if you know and see exactly, what is in picture wrong, then by this keyhole picture for others is practically impossibly to see, what is wrong. I just see no differences except left one is slightly lighter and has over-burned edges probably by FoldLine feature.

Thank you guys. Sorry i was vague. What im trying to tell in the pictures are the uneven burn quality in the incircled areas and they are all the same in the 6 wedding boxes lasered so far. Left and right pictures are just the same, just the encircled areas have lighter burns and they are all the same in the 6 boxes and in the same spot. What happens during lasering is that spot is being skipped by the laser and then burned later hence the difference.
    0_1496034116884_IMG_3770.jpg

@armanliness
    You can just try - increase speed to 2000, use LineByLine and also double lines by millimeter. If it looks good, then you can maybe increase your speed more and you can play with power also...

• @MuuSer said in Uneven laser power:

@armanliness
    You can just try - increase speed to 2000, use LineByLine and also double lines by millimeter. If it looks good, then you can maybe increase your speed more and you can play with power also...

Thank you..will try this later and report updates.

This post is deleted!

• @mrmister said in Uneven laser power:

@armanliness

The wood could make the difference too.

all six boxes have the same burn quality and exactly at the same spot, thats why I posted pictures of 2 boxes that show identical anomalies.

To answer your question the wood is weak in the areas you are seeing it show as light. The burned wood is being removed in the form of ash and falling off the piece. Here are some suggestions to improve your product results.

If you want to produce a nice product the first step I would take is to cover the area you are burning in a masking tape. something like this: http://a.co/g61PrBz

This will prevent the smoke burn you got going on around their heads and really make the contrast areas (like the mans collar) pop. To cut through the tape you will have to slow it down a little. I think I usually use 750 mm/min. Now the lighter areas appear to me to be weak spots in the wood where more material was removed or the ash naturally fell away. see how you can see the vertical striations in the wood on the mans chest. That is indicative of the laser cutting into the wood deeper than say in his leg where the striation disappears.

You can do a few things. If you want just black marks run at a lower power or faster speed. You want just enough exposure to make a black mark. I myself like to truly engrave and dig down deep into the wood. When you do this you get alot of areas that look like what you have because the wood is softer in some area and the ash is more easily removed in some areas. I usually just take a nylon brush and this removes the ash and gives is an even grey tone. A nice stain may bring out better contrast due to the recessed engraving or you can hit it with a black primer spray paint before you remove the tape. For the record the later is what I do. Tape, engrave, brush, spray paint, remove tape, polyurethane finish.

her are some examples of what your end product could look like

This is is just a deep engraving brushed to get rid of dark spots and polyurathaned (you will notice mine isnt nearly as dark as yours but it is even which is what I wanted):
    0_1496121231569_IMG_20170101_112724518_HDR.jpg

This one is engraved deep then spray painted black before I removed the tape then stained the whole thing:0_1496121342786_IMG_20170411_214510791 (1).jpg

This one is just a nice piece of walnut engraved deep with tape, brushed, sprayed black primer, the tape removed, then a very light sanding with fine sand paper:0_1496121414916_IMG_20170312_230320013.jpg

@armanliness - if we just think little bit looking at your picture, then the skipped white line may be occurred due to some kind of discord from mechanics or software, but darker narrow areas...

If you are using folded line rendering, then what shorter is the path when it moves back and forth, then hotter stays surface you burn. Therefore wider areas, that can be cooled down, remain lighter and narrow areas hot up more and stays darker...

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.