Blue Flashing D4 LED

• Good morning all.... I am hoping that someone on here can help with an issue.
    I bought myself an A4 size 2 axis laser engraver rig with a 2.5w laser module.
    I built the thing exactly as per plan but when I hooked it up to the power and turned it on all I got was a flashing blue LED denoted as D4 on the Eleks circuit board. This is all it would do until I disconnected the laser module from the board. Then the LED shines a brighter constant blue and all the functionality returns to the rig.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what could be causing this but please bear in mind this is my first foray into the world of Arduino controlled lasers so please use small words! lol

thanks in advance!

• This post is deleted!

• So... on further testing: putting 12v across the main wires into the laser will make it fire but I notice the "dot" when focused isnt actually a dot... its a small line?? Is this an issue?

When I put 12v down the cable to the laser without connecting the pin noted VCC it gives a red led or flashing red led if the low light button is pressed.

I am assuming that this means it is the board itself that is faulty... would anyone like to confirm this for me please?

• ElekMaker Develop Department

@PhotonPhil said in Blue Flashing D4 LED:

So... on further testing: putting 12v across the main wires into the laser will make it fire but I notice the "dot" when focused isnt actually a dot... its a small line?? Is this an issue?

When I put 12v down the cable to the laser without connecting the pin noted VCC it gives a red led or flashing red led if the low light button is pressed.

I am assuming that this means it is the board itself that is faulty... would anyone like to confirm this for me please?

nope, if you get a small line instead of dot , it means you didnt focus the laser moudle , you need turn the knob which is in front of the laser module and meanwhile turn on the weak light button on the laser module .

until you get a dot . Done

Best Regards,
    Z

• ElekMaker Develop Department

@PhotonPhil
    But , if you connect the laser module the Mana SE board D4 LED become flash it may means something wrong with the laser or connecter.

could you please try test the laser module like i just said(only connect the power) ? if something wrong , please tell me , we will try to help you , thx

• @EleksMaker-Z
    Thanks for the reply... I have tested the laser module as indicated in the picture below.

I have tried focussing the lens and this does indeed look as though it produces a "dot" for the laser... although I have only been able to make it fire in low power mode (by applying direct 12v to the + and - wires leading out of the PCB into the laser itself..see picture)

0_1498225704828_laser top.jpg

• @EleksMaker-Z

Hi there... I have now purchased a new controller board to test the laser module and this produces exactly the same result and so it must be the laser module that is faulty.

Having done some research it would seem that this generation of laser module with the cooler fan and circuit board on top of the module are known for having issues.

Therefore I need to look at getting a new laser module... is it worth getting a straight replacement from the original vendor or should I look to get a different model of 2.5w laser?

ok looking at your diagram this is what you should expect.

VCC - accepts a 5 volt signal to turn the laser on and off.

Gnd - ground

PWM - 12 volt power

So if you apply 12 volt to pwm, ground to ground, and 5volt to PWM you should get 100% power

If you apply 12 volt to pwm, ground to gnd, and 0 volt to pwm you should get 0% power

If you apply 12 volt pwm, ground to gnd, and 2.5 volt to pwm you should get 50% power

having the white button pressed with 12volt pwm and a ground applied should turn on the laser in low power mode event without anyting at pwm

.... I could be wrong but that is how it is supposed to work.

• @nottingham82 ..thanks for the advice... I will give that a try but I have now purchased a new controller board and exactly the same issue arises so it has to be the ;laser module... Following a week of correspondence with the seller and even posting videos of the issue on you tube for them to see the issue they responded with the following "the technical department is out of office for some reason, so we can not answer your email at the moment, so how about you contact us on next time".

As a result I have informed them that I now require a resolution within 4 days or I will file a buyer complaint via paypal and get my money back as it would seem that this is just Banggood by another name!

One question though... with the eleksmaker main controller board, can I buy one of the 2.5w lasers with a seperate driver board and connect that to the main controller board instead of the mana se laser with the integrated fan and board?

Once again... thanks for the advice

@PhotonPhil yes any low power laser will work with the mana se board so long as it accepts 12 volt and 5 volt signals. which is all of them ive ever seen. Just need to wire it properly. If you use eleksmakers its plug and play if you use a different company you gotta figure it out. usually the only hick up is making sure the 5 volt is in the right spot and sometimes there are two grounds you need to wire together.

• @nottingham82 Ah... ok...cheers for that...Ill see what they say and maybe buy a different laser module.

@PhotonPhil
    for all the combined money you are about to spend with buying a new low power laser, you should just get a 40w CO2 laser

• @mrmister ..I hear what you say but unfortunately the 40w is not versatile enough for the type of work I will be putting it to.... I need the open area under the laser.

Quick update on the issue with the laser...the seller "Comyur" has now stated that "We attached a picture and solution to your e-mail, please note to check." but suprise surprise there is no picture or email to be seen... Im going to give them til monday and then file a complaint with paypal I think

@PhotonPhil

I get what you ate saying about being versatil.

My thought is, just about every CNC device is inly limited by the user. A 40w CO2 with a small footprint could easily by given a larger footprint.

• sooooo... it would appear that the laser plug was wired the wrong way round! I have rewired it on the advice of the seller "Comyur".

However... now, although the machine operates as expected and the D4 LED stays a nice steady blue, there is a solid red LED on the top of the laser which flashes if you press the low light button...the problem is: The laser doesnt emit any light! Is this a seting that I havent changed or is it still a fault with the laser?

Am fast losing patience with this thing!

@PhotonPhil

Does the blue light blink if the laser is not plugged in?

• no... it stays clear blue... now that the laser is wired correctly it works fine with the exception of the laser not operating!

@PhotonPhil

are you sure you have a Eleksmaker product?

Eleksmaker did produce a gif that shows how to test the laser module.

• @mrmister .. the controller board and the usb cable have eleksmaker stamped on them ... cant see it on the laser itself but it is identical to the EL01 laser sold in the store even down to the PCB on the top of the module so Im guessing so

Out of interest could you point me in the direction of this laser test Gif?

@PhotonPhil

my laser is 3 wire. Red, black, white.

The test was to disconnect the white wire. Power the board and press the power button on the board.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.