2 Axis Move in Wrong Direction and Spindle Doesn't Spin

• Hello, I have recently build my eleksmill and noticed that 2 axis move in the wrong direction and the spindle doesn't spin.

I flashed the Mana controller using the Arduino IDE with grbl 1.1 (https://github.com/gnea/grbl) with the Arduino Uno board selected (I feel like the problem originates here, though I googled around and tried other boards with no avail as the file size was too big). I also installed GRBL controller Candle (newest version, https://github.com/Denvi/Candle).

My +Y axis runs toward me (not away from me), my +Z axis moves down (not up), and when pushing the speed gear button, the spindle doesn't turn on (just makes a high frequency noise). Has anyone else run into this issue or have any suggestions for fixes (worst case is I can switch the leads on the two axes)?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Very new to this, I figured out how to correct the axis traveling in the incorrect directions, simply change your $3 setting based on the following table...

• Lastly, got the spindle to work. Assumed Candle was displaying speeds of 0 to 100 as percentage. If you increase the speed to 1000-10000, the spindle will work.

• ElekMaker Develop Department

yes,and you can try use elekscam to change the settings

• I wish I could've tried out that software first, but I'm running linux and Mac. I believe elekscam is only for windows. The machine is up and running though so no complaints!

• ElekMaker Develop Department

i will try to write setting software for Mac OS

• @nickolas said
    simply change your $3 setting based on the following table...

Forgive my ignorance but I too am having trouble with the Z axis going the wrong way. I have spent a couple of days trying to find a file with $3 in it but have so far failed. Can you elaborate on where and how you change "your $3 setting"...
    I am using Candle to run the mill for engraving. Thanks...

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@DCJones You need to send a manual G-code command to the firmware, which would be something like $3=x where x is the value that corresponds to the axis directions (see the chart above).

If you are having problems sending the commands, and the software doesn't have a simple way to reverse the axis you could use my software T2Laser to change the parameters. It can be done in the menu, just a click and it changes the Grbl parameters for you, then you can go back to using whatever you want to run the machine.

• @Zax Thanks for the reply. I did figure it out, finding that you have to use something like putty to log into the board. From there using the $$ command to change the parameters went smoothly. I assume you can't do it through Candle which is what I was originally doing.
    Good to know that your software is there as an alternative...

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@DCJones In T2Laser it's easy, just click the Reverse Axis options in the Settings menu, you don't need to use any other software or understand the $ commands. I try to make it easy for users with T2Laser.

• @DCJones Sorry, I've been away for a little. You can directly alter these settings in candle. I have attached a generic screenshot of Candle from the github page. In the bottom right corner, you can see a little typing interface with the paper airplane beside it. Type the command you want to send here and push the paper airplane icon for sending.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.