EleksMill for making PCBs

• Hi all, I am looking to purchase an EleksMill mainly for producing 1.6mm or less single and double sided PCBs no larger than an Arduino/R-Pi shield size. If anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction for some information on this it would be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

P.

@Phrozius

get a 3020, 3040, or 3060 kit. Those kits have years of use and online support. Thise kits also can be used for more than just pcb milling.

Rather than milling I would suggest looking into photoresist methods. I would still use a 3020/40/60.

• @mrmister Hi MrMister, I don't really have space for a machine that size, was more interested in the Eleksmill from a learning point of view and to have something at end that could mill some PCBs, not really keen on using the chemicals involved on photoresist methods.

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@Phrozius I don't see why the EleksMill wouldn't work, the larger machines seem overkill for small PCB's.

• @Zax Hi Zax, yes I would assume it should work for PCBs, I guess I was just wondering if anyone has done this already and posted their experimentation, successes or failures online.

Stonemull did his first pcb this week. Check out his thread.

http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,2322.msg28412.html#msg28412

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@nottingham82 I almost linked that until I realized it's not an EleksMill but the type mrmister suggested - still, close enough.

@Zax

Yes a eleksmill - which has near zero online support - would work. My A3 would work, photoresit or mount a permanent marker for the traces.

But if someone is here asking about what machine to use, it seems reasonable to assume they know nothing about cnc machines.

A machine with near ZERO online support, in my opinion, is not a good idea for someone who is unfamiliar with cnc machines.

There are decades of combined experience with 3020/40/60 machines.

@Phrozius said in EleksMill for making PCBs:

@Zax Hi Zax, yes I would assume it should work for PCBs, I guess I was just wondering if anyone has done this already and posted their experimentation, successes or failures online.

The apparent lack of support and experience is why I suggest other machines; the other machines are more versitile.

• I am planning to make some PCB's in the near future, needed to order a couple of parts to get started. First, it appears that the A5 pin used for making a height map appears shorted to the innermost side (capacitor side) of the PR pin. I tried to use my cheap DMM and it also looks like its shorted, but its low on battery so I am going to test with my lab DMM this week. If that is true, getting some alligator clip to female terminal wires will do the job, as another pin in that area appears shorted to ground (again need to verify this claim). Aside from this initial research, someone will need to experiment around for the right settings (again, will be embarking on this endeavor soon), but I don't see why PCB making wouldn't work with this setup.

I have attached the link to a pair of the female terminal leads to alligator clips that I will buy if those pins are indeed shorted.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-21145

@nickolas

it will work with the mill.

The problem is you are wanting to get a machine that very few in the entire world have used, for the purpose you want.

• True, but it shouldn't be much different from reviewing what has been done with the T8 cnc, which has a larger community of PCB makers. Its a different board, so locating a way to connect directly to A5 and ground for probing will differ, which after I verify my previous post, should be an easy hurdle to get around. The spindle setup is essentially the same with respect to speed and length from motor to end of end mill/engraver, so experiment with settings and bits used here. It doesn't leave much experimenting to do, but of course honing in the precision will take some practice/disassembly and reassembly.

@nickolas

the eleksmill and T8 look like twins.

• Ok all, well thanks for the advice, im actually living in Shenzhen at the moment so I might look at some of the T8 options here. I can get 1610~2418 sizes for around $100usd.

• Anyway, confirmed that A5 is shorted to the innermost PR pin, and ground is shorted to the outermost PR pin. I made the connections and tested with Candle, I can z-probe. Now playing with the height map.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.