Most "extended" places on engravings are burned.

• Hi. I've been testing my 2.5W laser for quite a long time using the t2laser software and it seems that such settings give me the best time to quality ratio:
    0_1502791290172_image settings.png
    0_1502791294819_settings 2.PNG
    But as on the images, the places on far right and left are burned somehow.
    0_1502791510390_IMG_20170815_115331.jpg

I have no idea due to what may it be, the laser is running almost full power on the whole engraving so I have no idea why does it burn exactly these places. Is there a way to eliminate that other than finding new preset with lower feed rate and lower laser power? Because changing the feed rate from these 3050 to lets sat 2200 would be a pain in the ass considering the sizes of engravings I'm mostly going to do :/
    0_1502791518834_IMG_20170815_115339.jpg
    0_1502791580989_IMG_20170815_115345.jpg

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@LukaszL This looks like a fault with your laser, when it turns on it is initially at high power then quickly drops. You can easily verify by checking the G-code "view" simulation, but I am 100% sure it's not in the G-code and is a machine issue.

So why would it do that? Is your power supply rated for the required current or is something else limiting the current? (wires, board etc.)

Have you tried setting low power to 20, so the laser is always on but not enough to burn at the speed you are using? That way it may not pulse at the beginning.

• ElekMaker Develop Department

try to use the other software to carving in order to find out the problem?

This post is deleted!

Are you using my firmware? It's possible the acceleration values aren't correct but I still think it's a hardware issue.

This post is deleted!

• @Zax
    There is something going on with the laser turning on at full power, cause after clicking "control laser" it automatically turns on the laser at full power for 2-3 seconds and after it turns off I can control it. As for the current, I am using the power supply that came with the laser, although i had to tighten these little screws on the red boards cause the motors wouldn't move in the past.
    Yes, I tried not letting the laser to turn off, setting the minimum power to 10 and 20 - the same results.

@mrmister
    The file was just text created in Corel Draw and then imported to jpg and then loaded to t2laser.
    Back when I was creating engravings at lower speed and lower power I didn't see the problem that much but I'd like to overcome that problem if possible - sometimes the engraving process would take really much time :/

I made the same text in t2laser sketch option, similar size and the same settings, mode was set to sketch filled - the extended places are burned the same way.

Thanks for the response :)

@LukaszL The laser "pulse" during Grbl boot up is well documented, it is due to a poor driver design. The floating TTL input turns the laser on when it should be pulled down and a fail safe design. You need to add a resistor between TTL and ground to pull down the input.

I don't know if that is part of your problem or just another issue, it looks to me like the laser is pulsing at full power whenever it is turning on which would be a driver issue as well. If you use manual controls to turn the last on at power 5 does it also pulse really bright for a fraction of a second before settling at a very low power?

• @Zax
    Yes, it seems that it turns on at full power at every most far or most left/right point of a "scan line", at least thats what I'd say.

If you mean the "T2Laser controller" window, after clicking the "control laser" button and the initial 2-3 seconds of the laser being at full power there is nothing wrong with the "laser on engrave frame" option.
    So let's clear some things:
    -the laser goes full power at every most extended point of the engraving scan line
    -doesn't matter if it is an jpg file or sketch created in t2laser
    -the feed rate and maximum power doesn't matter
    So far I think that'd be an hardware issue but I'd try re-installing the t2laser.

Thanks for the help so far, but are there other things to try/test?

• @mrmister
    @Zax
    I have just tried engraving something using a laptop with a fresh t2laser and still does the same thing, so we may exclde that this issue is software based. So what may it be then? The laser itself? What should I do then, write to eleks for a replacement? Btw. I have to re-focus the lens from time to time and the "dot" still looks like a line (with a small dot inside), is that ok?
    Really have no idea what should I do :/

This post is deleted!

• @mrmister
    Well, tried several times and eleks either doesn't engrave at all or just burns. But is that really necessary? I mean, eleks compared to t2laser is... let's say a bit worse

• @Zax
    @mrmister
    You know what guys? I really, really appreciate your help but this machine makes me just sad and depressed because I am just helpless...
    I have no idea what's going on but now everything went to shit after I flashed it through elekscam... I tried making THE SAME engraving with the same settings and... I dont know. It looks way different and worse and takes a lot more, like A LOT more time to make the same engravings. Maybe I'll waste a few more hours tomorrow and get here just to ask another questions, but as for now I am helpless and probably injured my eyes in some way even though i was always using the protective glasses :/

Anyway, thanks for all your commitment and help : )

This post is deleted!

@mrmister I can run my machine at 3000 while engraving and 5000 for rapid, it will do 6000 just but begins to stall the motors and lose steps.

If he sets laser min to 30 I think the problem will go away, well at least shift to the beginning of the scan which won't be such a problem. That will confirm it is an issue when the laser turns on.

This post is deleted!

@mrmister I agree with you, it does require a well adjustment machine but my point was it's technically possible with these machines and the over burn at the beginning isn't related.

and we did try reinstalling the firmware right? And the x axis moves freely when the machine is unplugged? I could see how a binding x axis may resist change and need a higher voltage or looser wheels.

• This post is deleted!

• @LukaszL said in Most "extended" places on engravings are burned.:

@mrmister
    @Zax
    @nottingham82
    Ok so I tried something yesterday and today and these are the results.

-Yesterday I installed the elekscam, made an RST ROM and used the install driver option

• I couldn't figure out the elekscam at all, it just burned the wood so I tried going back to t2laser
      -Since then my engraver runs like garbage. At the same settings as before (3050 feed rate) I tried to engrave this picture (around 40mm width)
      0_1502978583510_Beznazwy-1.jpg
      The t2 laser showed me that I'd take around 2 minutes - normal speed for such size and "in the past" it'd really take this time to engrave this), but now it takes 2 minutes to engrave a few lines
      0_1502978629356_IMG_20170817_155806 (1).jpg
      -I tightened a little the 2 red potentiometers if that matters
      -I discovered that there was some tension on the axis on which the laser is, it didn't move smoothly, rather jumpy but I fixed that.

So I think that as Nottingham82 mentioned, the extended places may have been burned because the motor couldn't move for a small amount of time due to the tension, so I think that we fixed this problem but now I have created the second problem that it does such a "thing" in 2 minutes, when a day back it'd take 2 minutes to create the whole engraving, but as mentioned that happened after flashing it through elekscam.

I downloaded elekscam and made "rst rom" again, no results whatsoever. So now it's a matter of getting the eleksmana firmware back to work I guess?
    I hope there would be a way to do this :/
    Thanks for your ideas and commitment yet again, I hope that is going to be my last issue :)

To be exact, I created a text in t2laser, custom size 50x50, made a "ENGRAVING" text using ARIAL 6 REGULAR.
    With settings feed rate 3050 and 0.05 scan resolution it took exactly 7 minutes and 50seconds to engrave this, the engraving looks bad and burned while a day ago with those settings it'd look nice and be made in around 2 minutes. Tested it on another computer that didn't have any contact with the laser at all, just installed a new t2laser and it did exactly the same thing, so I think it's pretty safe to assume it's a software/firmware issue.
    Sorry for writing so chaotic but I'm just hopeless at the moment and don't want to spend another 200$ on a new machine, or at lest 25$ for a new eleks mana.
    Thanks in advance

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.