Laser G-Code Query

• Hi all,

I recently purchased a EleksDraw with 500mW laser. It's all setup and both the pen and laser work well using LaserGRBL software instead of EleksCam, but I have a question regarding the laser.

When I look through the GCode of a laser engrave, it appears my image is being engraved almost pixel by pixel with different laser intensities at each step (S values). This is fine, it just takes ages to produce an image. I've been experimenting with writing my own GCode in order to try and speed it up. In my head, this should produce a straight line:

G0 X0 Y0 S0 F1000
    G0 X10 Y0 S100 F1000

Except it doesnt. What I actually get is a dot at, say, x0.1 then nothing more. It's like the laser switches off almost straight away. Is this how all laser engravers work? i.e. dot by dot?

Hope this makes sense, any thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Andrew

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@andy_tratter No, that's not the way it should work.

Your G-code should begin with G01 (or G1) and include M03 to enable the laser.

If you want to learn another technique, take a look at G-code generated by T2Laser using Velocity Mode. It scans the line continuously and uses the feed rate to change the burn, much more efficient than changing laser power at each dot and it doesn't require PWM/TTL.

The normal method is to use the S value (spindle speed which we use for laser power) and change it for each grey scale change. T2Laser is intelligent and generates smaller G-code by only changing as needed so you will often see longer lines as you described.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.