Laser speeding during a row! (Solved)

• Why did my Draw speed up while engraving these rows?
    0_1582420286463_Nikonerik's CrispyIcon.jpg

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@NikonErik Have you inadvertently enabled skip solid lines?

• It was selected! How did you know? Why did that feature cause that? What use is that feature?

@NikonErik Why did you enable it? If you select options without knowing their purpose you will get all kinds of strange results. Always check the manual.

Skip Solid is used on a CNC mill when doing negative 3D relief, the black would be cutting in air so this option allows the machine to quickly skip over the solid black areas to speed up the process, it is not applicable to a laser.

• I have no recollection of selecting it. I must have done so accidentally. Thanks.

• Skip Solid Lines was never checked. Skip Blank Lines was, however. I apologize that I misread your post above.

Running a power test, I noticed the engraving artifacts again.
    Skip Solid Lines always off
    Skip Blank Lines on, then off

Why am I getting a pattern that resembles what looks like severe Jpeg compression artifacts being engraved in the work?
    0_1582832546146_Engraving Artifacts.jpg

@NikonErik So you are getting weird artifacts in all images including my grey scale test? Have you restored T2Laser defaults from the Help menu in case you've changed something? If so, are you using my Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT firmware and parameters? Click Display Grbl Parameters and post them or send them to me by email. If you send me the original image on email I can take a look, there may be something going on with it.

• I uploaded Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT firmware, then I selected Restore Defaults in the Help Menu. In Settings>Configure EleksMana I set EleksDraw(E2) and CoreXY(C1). This makes the Jogging go 45deg relative to the jogging control arrows. This is why you instructed me to use firmware 0.9i.

Regardless, I ran the engraving as above using the same file as one of the one I posted most recently.

Source File Info: Freshly created in Illustrator (RGB color space) then Rasterized at 300ppi. Opened in Photoshop, Set to Greyscale. Then set to a resolution of 127ppi @ 70mm on the short side. Test file Cut and Paste into a new document, flattened and saved as a #9 Jpeg.

T2Laser with everything reset to default: Greyscale Mode, Feed Rate 1000, Scan Resolution 0.2, Output Size set to 8.2 width and 55.6 Height

1.1e Results: NO ARTIFACTS - Rotated 45deg and Mirror Reflected. It's engraving what looks to be about 60% smaller than the indicated Output Size. Power set to 160 out of 255.

0.9i Results: ARTIFACTS PRESENT - Everything else is as it should be.

0_1582852868242_Artifact Test.jpg

@NikonErik What does Pwr 160/255 and 450/1000 mean? Are you setting laser min to some high value, if so, why? Laser min should usually be 0 so you have the greatest range of grey scale possible.

I don't think it's related as you show good results using my 1.1e DEFAULT firmware, it may be a bug in the Eleks firmware.

I've used the Eleks firmware on a standard Cartesian laser and never seen these artifacts and they look like digital / compression in the file but I can't explain it.

As you know the G-code generated in T2Laser is perfect so the problem is not software.

0_1582892745231_upload-bfb9bb44-27ee-406e-b930-879e27d8fbf9

The only suggestion would be to use Grbl 1.1 configured for CoreXY and then upload my default parameters. You may need to calibrate the axis but that can be done easily from the menu in T2Laser as can reversing an axis if needed.

If you don't know how to do this you can probably find a precompiled version, otherwise all you need to do is edit config.h to enable CoreXY mode by uncommenting: #define COREXY

You can then compile Grbl and upload to the Nano using Arduino IDE.

• Pwr 160/255 and 450/1000 means that in one firmware the max power was 255, so I set the power to 160, hence the fraction. The other firmware: 450 out of a max of 1000. In all cases the minimum power is set to 0.

I don't think it's related as you show good results using my 1.1e DEFAULT firmware, it may be a bug in the Eleks firmware."
    The results from 1.1 are NOT good. What about the flipped image and reduced output size?

"I've used the Eleks firmware on a standard Cartesian laser and never seen these artifacts and they look like digital / compression in the file but I can't explain it.

Yes, it looks like jpeg compression artifacts, but if the artifacts were present and engraved that lightly, they'd be visible in the file as areas lighter than 30% grey!

*"The only suggestion would be to use Grbl 1.1 configured for CoreXY and then upload my default parameters. You may need to calibrate the axis but that can be done easily from the menu in T2Laser as can reversing an axis if needed.

If you don't know how to do this you can probably find a precompiled version, otherwise all you need to do is edit config.h to enable CoreXY mode by uncommenting: #define COREXY

You can then compile Grbl and upload to the Nano using Arduino IDE."*

Really? (sigh)
    It's got to me me. I'm the weakest link here. I must be doing something wrong!

@NikonErik Use Sketch filled and draw a rectangle, run that and see if it's solid.

0_1582908767109_100x20_filled.t2s

• It is solid. Also I'd like to document this test result here as well.
    0_1583119198293_Artifact Test.jpg

• This problem revealed itself to be related to the firmware I was using. Using the Eleksdraw (as a laser engraver) with T2laser, with 0.9i Eleksmana as the firmware, with a jpeg in greyscale mode. Revealed these unacceptable "artifacts" cause by the feed rate to strangle speed up while burning a field of 100% black in the art.

Using a more updated firmware eliminated the "artifacts" but introduced me to how the EleksDraw uses a system called CoreXY to control the stepper motors that move the laser or pen. These updated firmwares, by default have this CoreXY system disabled.

The next trick was to enable this CoreXY control feature in the firmware before it is uploaded to the Arduino Nano portion of the Draw's motherboard . This wasn't difficult, but now this enabled feature made the firmware too large to fit into the Arduino Nano's memory!

The final trick was to modify a core function of the Nano itself, which was software based. It's not necessary to have this core feature, but it's presence is intended to like life easier for those of us new to the Land of Arduino. This step was tricky, but I was able to by following this Instrucables. This was a turn of luck for me because I had all of the parts I needed already.

Thank you to Zax. He was amazingly patient with me and answered all of my questions, more than once, as needed. Ha!
    I hope this thread serves to help the next person who stumbles into this issue.
    0_1583172614816_Test Pattern 1.1h CoreXY.jpg

@NikonErik Just to clarify. It was necessary to install OptiBoot (the Uno bootloader) which is smaller and this additional space (a whopping 1.5kb) allows Grbl 1.1 with CoreXY enabled to be installed.

• Yes. Exactly. I should have been more clear. :thumbsup_tone2:

This is what I'm vaguely referring to above as "modifying the core function of the Nano itself." I meant that I needed to modify the Nano by replacing the intended-for-Nano bootloader with the-intended-for-Uno smaller bootloader.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.