Skipping steps, overheating, jerking...

• Our Eleksdraw keeps skipping steps, makes terrible noises, and seems the driver chips are overheating. We have tried adjusting the potentiometers but its either not enough power, or it starts skipping about 20 seconds into the sketch.

Also, what is best workflow for getting vector drawings to the plotter. The elekscam softwear is terrible and seems to crash every time we load a svg file.

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@shmope You should not adjust the current limit without a volt meter. Too high will cause erratic stepping and jerking / jumping and too low will cause lost (skipped) steps. Once you get the current limit set correctly, if it still doesn't step correctly then it's either the belts or you have damaged a driver (these are cheap ~$2 to replace).

You can try T2Laser, there is a free trial. I have an EleksDraw and once setup they work OK but they are more difficult to get running smoothly because of the CoreXY design. T2Laser supports DXF files and is extremely reliable, you can also easily trace raster images to vector.

• Thanks Zax,
    I do have a multimeter and set the ref.voltage to 0.65 on both, then we tried 0.8, 0.85, 0.9 etc...
    I'm not enjoying the corexy style thus far.

What voltage should the drivers be set at? I think if I replace I will upgrade them.

• Developer of T2Laser Software

@shmope They should be 0.35 to 0.45 VDC. You may want to disconnect the belt and make sure the motor runs smoothly, if it doesn't then the driver has been damaged. They are not designed to be run at 0.75 VDC reference voltage or higher (~1A) without a heat sink and fan. Also do not move the axis manually while the motors are connected as the back-EMF will damage the drivers.

Looks like your connection to Offical Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.